I am coaching an Upward soccer team this year, 7 and 8 year olds. In the middle of each practice we 'huddle up' and have a devotional. Tonight's devotional was the Gospel presentation. As I shared the gospel with them, they all interjected at random points with only the passion and joy that such little hearts can have that they had accepted Jesus into their hearts. We talked about what this meant, and as we had our heads bowed in prayer, I asked that they raise their hands if they would like to talk to me more about Jesus or if they had any questions about what we had been talking about in our devotionals each week. One of the girls raised her hand, so I pulled her aside at the end of practice. I wondered with great anticipation what her question might be. Her question was this: if God knew that Satan was bad, why did He create him in the first place? In all honesty, I was a little shocked. This sweet girl, who spends more time chasing butterflies and naming cloud shapes than playing soccer, had the most focused look on her face that I have ever seen. The other coach and I talked with her about Satan and about choices, but I feel that I learned more from the conversation than she did.
I think sometimes we put kids in a box. We think we have so much to teach them. I have even been guilty of wondering if the kids on my team really, truly understood what they believed. But what I realized is that they don't have to know why Satan exists, whether or not they believe in the gap theory, or if Adam and Eve had a belly button. They truly accept by faith. And through faith alone we are saved. What a joy it is to see their hearts so full of love for God, knowing little in theology but much in faith and love.
"Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." - Mark 10:15
No comments:
Post a Comment