Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pride

I read the story of Nebuchadnezzar last week, but it keeps coming back into my thoughts.  He was so full of pride, so unwilling to turn from his own ways.  I know many nonbelievers like this.  They are too full of pride to accept Jesus.  They don't need to be saved, they don't need to be forgiven.  "I can do this on my own," they say.  Many times it brings me to tears, as many who I love deeply express this attitude in their lives.  Sometimes I feel defeated, I want to throw in the towel, I am left with nothing but tears of frustration.  But then God does a mighty thing.  He tenderly draws me to the story of Nebuchadnezzar.  He says, look closely my child, and you will find that I have dealt with prideful children of mine before.  Nothing is impossible, do not give up hope.  Your prayers are heard.  For Nebuchadnezzar, a man bursting at the seams with pride, declared this:

"Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he doe is right and all his ways are just.  And those who walk in pride he is able to humble." ~ Daniel 4:37

Tears flowed as I read this verse over and over.  Nebuchadnezzar's journey to this declaration was not easy.  He fought against God and his need for a Savior for many, many years.  But in the end, he honors the one true God.

Thank you God for this beautiful story.  A story that restores my hope for those I love to come to know you.  If it was me against the world, God, the world would win.  But I don't have to fight this fight alone.  I know you are with me every step of the way.  Give me words to speak as I continue to share your word with those who are seeking something they cannot find but in you.  Guide me as I strive daily to shine your light, to show the love of Christ to those around me so that they might question the source of my love and why it is unending.  Fill my cup, God.  Let your joy be abundant in my spirit.  Let your love in me overflow to the ends of the earth.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment