Freedom Weekend was technically to teach the students, but I came away from the weekend deeply desiring to grow closer to the One True God. The weekend has me thinking about the word Devoted. What am I devoted to? - or - to what am I devoted (for the English majors out there). As I studied through the book of Daniel this weekend and continue to read this week, I am struck by the awe of Daniel's devotion. He has no fear - of the lions' den, of speaking truth to the king. He is honest and forthcoming, gently and respectfully devoted to the Love of his life, the one who first loved him.
I think to myself, I can only imagine this deep devotion, for I have never been threatened by a king or lions. All around the world, people are daily taking up their crosses in places where their government has deemed it illegal to claim Jesus as Messiah. And so I sit here, humbled, and wonder, as an American, what should my devotion look like? How can I be more devoted? And as I pray over this very question, somewhere between an answer and another question comes to mind: More. There has to be more. More that I can be doing. More that I can be praying for. More that I can be learning. More that I can be studying. And before I know it, I am quite overwhelmed with a call and a desire to do More. I imagine two columns in my peripheral vision, my time never ceasing to fill one or the other. One is my time spent in the Word, in prayer, being devoted. The other is time spent being of the world. At the end of the day I gasp at how disproportionate the columns are, as if I am surprised that yet another day has gone by with the same conclusion. That despite my 30 minute quiet time, my well intentioned 'devotion' looks more like the size of a mustard seed (well isn't that ironic!) compared with my worldly column.
God, give me strength. Give me courage, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, discernment. Help me navigate the things of this world. I want to be like Daniel, God, hopefully devoted to you in prayer, increasing in knowledge, steadfast in the faith. I take a step back and realize how trivial the things of this world are, and yet I find myself desiring them in the next moment! Guide me, Father, as I go through the day. I pray that my eyes stay focused on You and You alone, for you are God. My hope is in you and only you. Give me discernment as I desire to do More for your Kingdom. You have been Devoted to me since before I was formed in the womb. I so desire to be Devoted to you with all that I have, with all that I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment